Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Asian Tokusatsu

Other than Japanese, I mean.

Because of the influence of Japan culturally on the rest of Asia, tokusatsu programs are actually quite common on that side of the Pacific.

China has them. (These particular ones look awesome, and at least semi-distinct from any Japanese ones I know of.)




Thailand has them. (In fact, Thailand has some rather polished stuff, seeing as how there are Thai companies that had partnerships with Japanese companies. I say "had" because one of these companies had a violent legal battle with Tsuburaya productions over the rights to the distribution of Ultraman series in places other than Japan. I haven't kept up with this, so I don't know the current status... Also, note the name of the fist one, Yanman. That is an awesome silly name. And his tail is also funny. On the second, I'll merely mention that my sister really likes the Sportranger costume.)




Korea has them. (Maxman looks kinda cheesy, but at some point I could swear that I read it was from the mid-to-late '90s, in which case it's more impressive than it should be. Erexion has an unfortunate name, but looks nifty.)




I'm sure other countries have their own tokusatsu, but these were the easy ones to find at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment